Friday, November 29, 2013

A North Dakota Thanksgiving

First off I am so angry I stink at taking pictures! I had the table set up all cute and a beautiful pie and food and I didn't get one stinking picture. I wish there was a way I could go back on my face time chats and get a pic from them but I can't as far as I know. 

Anyways, this was my first Thanksgiving away from my parents. Ben has had 2 while he was serving his mission in England. I was a little sad and bummed and so was Ben. Last week I was talking to my friend who works at the daycare and is also in our ward. She is married with one little one and one on the way. I asked her about her plans for Thanksgiving and she said they really didn't have any so I invited her and her family over. She agreed and we were both really excited! Wednesday night I made the pumpkin pie and a special cranberry with feta cheese tossed salad. On Thursday morning after the 5K I started putting everything else together and we started picking up around the house. I put the turkey in (it was boneless and just a small lil' 3lb thing) I also cut up regular potatoes and put them in the crock pot, and cut, cooked and mashed sweet potatoes. We went to Walmart to get some rockstars and other drinks for dinner (I have never seen Walmart so dead it was actually kind of nice.) We felt bad so we made sure we went through the self checkout as our way of trying to protest for making nice people work on Thanksgiving. Around 330pm I took the turkey out and covered it with tinfoil then I put the sweet potato casserole in the oven and called my mom to wish her Happy Thanksgiving! Her and my dad were up in Washington visiting my brother and his family so I was able to facetime with everyone! It was so fun to see them I'm so thankful for technology! Around 430pm our guests arrived. My friend Carolyn made home made stuffing (it was amazing) and an apple pie. Her husband is from Ethiopia so this whole Thanksgiving thing is still pretty new to him. We had 2 bottles of sparkling cider and we couldn't find our bottle opener. My friends husband did a special trick and opened them both up it was really cool! Ben turned on a movie for their son and we enjoyed our dinner. We just sat around and visited and watched some kid movies (Planes and Monsters University). It was very relaxing and chill and it was nice to have some company. We enjoyed pie both turned out delicious. After they left I went into the kitchen and noticed my crock pot was still on and then a lightbulb in my head went off... Whoops! I completely forget about the mashed potatoes! LOL all in all I think I did pretty good for the first Thanksgiving I was in charge of. 
I feel so blessed in my life. I have more than I will ever need and I have amazing people and relationships in my life. I am so grateful for all that I have.

Hope y'all had a fantastic Thanksgiving or maybe first day of Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment