Monday, August 12, 2013

We made it to Bismarck,ND

There may not be a ton of pictures with this post and I apologize. I took some awesome shots on the drive up and unfortunately my phone crashed and I lost them all so sad. Well things sometimes just don't go as planned. We figured it was going to be around a 15-18 hour drive to Bismarck and we wanted to leave really early but we ended up not leaving until about 10am. The drive was gorgeous Ben,Duke, and I drove in the truck and pulled the trailer. My dad drove behind us in the Mazda (yes my dads amazing to have done this drive with us and help move us up here on such short notice.) We had never pulled a trailer before with our truck so we were curious to see what kind of gas mileage we got. Let me tell you it wasn't good. About three hours in we had to fill up the tank. So having to stop that often to fill up kind of put us back a little on time. The good thing was the Mazda was getting great gas mileage and we were only having to fill it up about every other time we filled up the truck. Around 10pm we were on the Eastern side of Montana and we could tell everyone needed a rest so we found a little hotel and crashed. We had to sneak Duke in. I'm so grateful he is such a good dog or else we could have really had some problems. We just slept until we felt rested in the morning and then headed out on the road again. Mind you this whole time we technically don't have a place to live I have 2 places that have said its a possibility but we have nothing set in stone yet. We get to Bismarck and it is just pouring rain. We get to the duplex that we are hoping to rent and I can't get a hold of the landlord. So we go to Walmart and get my dad a hoodie because we hadn't planned on this weather and we get a blow up mattress because we don't have anything to sleep on. Still don't hear back from the landlord so we stop at TacoJohns a little mexican fast food place. Finally, we hear from the landlord go back to the duplex we take a look around sign the lease it stops raining for about an hour we get everything pretty much unpacked and thats it!

The next morning we dropped my dad off at the airport which is literally down the street. We basically live on airport road. There is also an active train track right by our house. That has taken some getting used to. I swear the conductor falls asleep on the horn some nights. Having people above us again has also taken some getting used to. They have a dog and we call him Crazy Old Bruce. He's crazy for real. It rained almost non stop for about the first month we were here and now its just hot and humid. A few things I've learned about North Dakota: Almost everyone wears Underarmor or TheNorthFace clothing. The majority of people are Catholic or Lutheran. They are huge on motorcycles especially Harley Davidsons. They have 2 Walmarts a north and south one. When you tell them you moved up here for work they assume you are working in the oil fields. They don't have enough people for the jobs they have available and they don't have enough housing for the people they need. There is only 3 types of music available on the radio. I like to call them the 3 C's: Country,Christian, and Classic Rock.

I was going to post more pictures of the inside of the house but I will just have to do that later because its taken me over 2 months to get this post up! Also...look up Minnesota accents on youtube. That's kind of how they talk here and some days I really pick up on the accent. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment