Thursday, August 29, 2013

Gramps

My Grandpa Smith passed away on Tuesday August 27th. Kind of neat and sweet him and my grandma were only apart for 28 days. I know he needed to be with her and it just really made his personality show because he was so stubborn. He waited until he knew she was OK. I miss him so much though. It's so hard for everyone still here without them. I feel like I'm having an especially hard time just because they both passed away while we are here in North Dakota. I'm so grateful for all the times I was able to spend with my grandparents. Just recently when we were down for my grandma's funeral I was playing solitaire at my grandpa's house. He had been kind of out of it that day but pretty soon after I got the cards out he jumped right in and started helping me play. Then he asked me if I wanted to share a banana with him. That moment meant so much to me, especially now. I have so many memories of my grandpa. He was hilarious and stubborn as hell. I'm pretty positive I get my stubbornness from him. I remember when I was home schooled in 6th grade my mom would have me go to their house sometimes in the morning and do some school work.  My grandpa would always watch "The Price is Right" and we would eat yogurt. If I was ever doing math homework he didn't like me to count with my fingers he wanted me to count in my head. So funny. Both him and my grandma were avid Jazz fans to the point where they would even just listen to the games on the radio if they weren't on TV. Gramps always called to let us know what time and what channel the game would be on so we could watch it. I remember playing Kings in the corner with my grandpa and my grandma would sneak over my shoulder and give me hints and tips. He was passionate about gas mileage and the details on our car. I'll try to do better on keeping track of my gas mileage for you grandpa. One of the many things I got from my grandpa's many stories was to always stand up for yourself.  I think that is so important. He taught me that it isn't ok for others to treat you unfairly. We wont go into the ways he made it known to people who did not treat him fair because thats besides the point. Grandpa was very protective of his grandkids. You didn't mess with us or else he would hunt you down. I'm not kidding...He loved his 3 great granddaughters very much. They new him as grandpa great. 
I miss my grandma and grandpa so very much. I'm so glad they are together and I know I am so lucky to have had them in my life for as long as I did. 





1 comment:

  1. Lindsey , this is very nice! You have always been such a Beautiful Grandaughter to all of your Grandparents !!!

    ReplyDelete