Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Salt Lake City Half Marathon

We did it! Yahoo!!! On Saturday April 17th we completed the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. It was an amazing experience and I recommend everyone do one at least once in your life!
It was a perfect day for the run! Not too hot not too cold. So glad it wasn't snowing!
To start off the day we got up around 4:30 am and met Dad and Mom Parry, Morgan and Jason at the Gateway then we took trax up to the U where the starting point was. There were crazy lines for the bathrooms that I need to remember next time to take pictures of. We were able to see the very start of the wheelchair race...I can't believe they do all those miles with their arms wow very neat and inspirational!
After some stretching and of course the official start horn we were off.
My mom and I are close to the same pace we stayed together until about Mile 4.
They had many bathroom and drink stops along the way. My parents had given us fanny packs with energy bars and beans and I had some energy blocks that I brought.
There were so many people all along the route they gave such great encouragement I don't think anyone could do it without them. They yell at you and tell you to keep going it's great! The final 3 miles or so are coming up state street and its a pretty steep hill after you've ran 10 miles. We all found that it actually hurts more to walk than to run at that point. The last mile or so is coming up to the gateway and down the main street. There are tons of people and cameras it's awesome!
Karlie and her mom were also waiting at the finish line to cheer us on!
Ben came in at 2:28 which is amazing and I did 2:57 which isn't too bad for our first time.
Morgan came in at 2:45 My mom at 3:07 they both did the half also.
Jason and Dad came in at about 4:10 for the full marathon...WOW!
Ben wants to just keep doing halfs I want to do the full marathon next year! YES!
If you want to go to this website (www.marathonfoto.com) you can put in our last names and bib #'s:
Ben 4018 Linds 4020
I have to buy their pics and I am going to buy one for Ben and I but I can't post them on here.. it won't let me and apparently thats against the law or something?
Anways here's some pics I took:
Getting ready to start:


Ben and Linds after the run:


All the family that ran with our t-shirts and medals:


Afterwards:
We went to lunch at TGIFridays even though none of us were to hungry. It's really weird that much running can make you kinda nauseated. Then we all went to our own seperate homes to relax.
On Sunday none of us could move. It was pain! Ben's muscles were hurting him, my joints, everyone was just a little bit sore. My ankles were pretty swollen. Oh ya they still are too! Dad's one foot was swollen pretty bad as well and is still healing.
Why all this pain? Is it worth it? YES! I can't wait for the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Good job!! You guys did awesome!! Those medals are way cooler than the ones we got for the Logan one..
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete