Monday, May 16, 2016

Women of Steel Triathlon

On May 14th my friend Kim and I (also known as Team Wonder Woman) participated in the Women of Steel triathlon in Syracuse, Utah. 

It consisted of a 300 meter pool swim, 15 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run. 

We decided to pick up our packets the morning of which actually worked out great. The packet pick up line was super short and we were able to set up our transition area and get all situated before the start. They were having 2 triathlons at the same time a half hour apart. I wasn't sure how that was going to work but I didn't notice or have any issues with this set up. 

SWIM: As you may or may not remember at the Icebreaker triathlon in March I regretted selling myself short on the swim and going to the end of the line. This time I got in line at my approximate swim time which I guesstimated to be about 8 minutes. The swim was indoors. 6 lengths of 25 meters. However, still had to share the lane which I do not like. Some people just drive me nuts. I got hit in the head once...grrr. But overall I am super happy with my time! I shaved 2 minutes off my time from March! Swim time was 7min:25sec.  

It was much warmer this time than it was for the triathlon in March. 

BIKE: The bike ride was pretty nice for the most part. There was one road that was pot hole city which kind of sucked. It was overall pretty flat. The weather was fantastic and Kim and I had decided to stay together during the bike ride. I ended up still riding my hybrid bike instead of Ben's road bike because I hadn't had time to practice on it and didn't want to go for my first ride the day of the race. I love my hybrid bike but I know having a road bike will make a huge difference mostly because of weight difference. Bike time was 1hour:21min:41sec. MPH was 12.8 That is 2mph faster than I was in March! Wahoo!

RUN: The run portion went really well I thought. It went through a neighborhood for not even a mile and then went onto a nice trail with ducks along the way :) Kim and I came up with a plan where one of us would choose a point to start running i.e. a post and the other person would choose when to stop. I really liked this plan and it was nice to have someone to push me when I wasn't wanting to as much. We ended up picking up a few more ladies along the run who enjoyed our little red light/green light method. I'm actually surprised that my time ended up being even longer than before. Run time was 47min:12sec. I'm not sure why honestly. 

My overall race time was 2hours:12min:51sec which I am pretty happy with. I was hoping for under 2 hours but I am excited to see improvement. I really need to start training more, get used to Ben's road bike, and do more brick (run & bike) workouts. I love the variety of triathlons and it has been so much fun for Kim and I to have our little team. 

Before photo matching Warrior tops. Can you see sneaky Ben? We have been friends since Kindergarten. Love this girl!

After photo with medals! There just happened to be a Swig just down the street from where the race was so we stopped for a post race treat! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment