Saturday, February 25, 2012

2 peanuts continued...

I'm writing all of this down in my blog for a few really good reasons but anyways.

After my super long day at IHC when I was assaulted my supervisor approved me for some time off (Paid? ummm still trying to figure that part out...) After about a week of being off work I decided that when I went back to work I wanted to do graveyards. It's a different atmosphere on graves and if you have ever worked them you know what I mean. I met with my counselor the day before I was to return to work. She is awesome and I really enjoy meeting with her. Ben also came with me to that appointment which helped a ton. We talked about different coping mechanisms and relaxation techniques to help with the anxiety when returning to work. The day I was supposed to return I had a really bad anxiety attack and had to take my anxiety medication. Ben dropped me off at work and kept reminding me it wasn't going to be as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. I had spoken with my supervisor a few days before regarding what actions should be taken to help me be comfortable in coming back to work. All that I asked was no young male patients for a while which shouldn't be a problem because I hardly ever ever ever get young male patients. So I show up to the floor I had been assigned to and my assignment is a 1 on 1 with a patient. I check in with the charge nurse and let her know that it is my first shift back since being assaulted by a patient. The charge nurse could have cared less. So I head to the patients room and I get report from the nurse. The patient is a young male, was involved in a high speed chase and almost ran over a police officer. There is no security in the room, no officers, and no restraints. I am supposed to close the door and sit in the room with him for 12 hours. Also, there is a list of 5 people he is allowed to see and if anyone else shows up I have to turn them away. Wow what a great first night back at work right??? I'm furious having another anxiety attack. So I text Ben and he flips and comes up to the floor I am working on. The patients sister who was not on the list but the charge nurse approved is alone in the room with the patient. I call staffing to let them know I am not OK and need to leave. They just kinda blow me off and call the charge nurse. Meanwhile I head to the patients room to get my stuff. Ben is talking to the charge nurse who says yes I told her about being assaulted but that kind of stuff happens all the time. They were going to change my patient assignment but I just left. I emailed my supervisor and my counselor letting them know the situation. My supervisor emailed me back saying there is no way for anyone to have a say in which patients I get. So why did she ask in the first place? Needless to say I put in my 2 weeks but I will not be working during those 2 weeks. My counselor called and said she was so sorry for the way things turned out but she has offered to meet with me for free for the next few months. I am so happy that I can continue to see her because I can connect with her  and she understands what I am trying to say. I am super frustrated with the way that I was treated and the situation was approached by IHC.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry! What an awful ordeal, and now on top of it all you have to look for another job. I am so sorry! I will certainly keep you in my prayers,
    Love, Jennie

    ReplyDelete